Ceangal | Dolen II is the second gathering of artists working in theatre in Irish, Scottish Gaelic and Welsh. This year’s meeting will take place entirely online 10th-13th of November with further details of how to register to be announced.
The four key objectives of the gathering are to:
• Explore innovative approaches to making new work in these three minoritized languages.
• Interrogate and share models of best practice.
• Agree common guiding principles, for the theatre sector working in Irish, Scottish Gaelic and Welsh, that nurture respect, linguistic diversity and equality.
• Commission theatre makers to present new work in their native languages of Welsh, Irish and Scottish Gaelic.
As part of this year’s gathering, Ceangal | Dolen II will commission 6 new pieces of work to be presented digitally during the conference week and online in the future The final selection will contain 2 applicants from each partner country. The aim of this commission is to provide paid creative opportunities to artists working in Irish, Scots Gaelic and Welsh during these challenging times and to support the development of new work in these three minoritized languages.
This successful applicant will receive a €1,500.00 (Ireland) | £1,370.00 (Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland) commission fee to develop and digitally present a piece of work at Ceangal Dolen II in November on the theme of “Connection”. This is an all-inclusive fee to include the development, creation and documentation of the piece, including collaborators, technicians and any other associated freelancers involved in the creation of the work. We invite artists across the three partner countries to submit an application before the deadline 10am,Monday 12th October 2020.
• A new piece of theatre based on the theme “Connection” that can be broadcast online during the Ceangal | Dolen II Conference.
• The piece will be pre-recorded and should be written and/or performed in Welsh, Scottish Gaelic or Irish.
• The final piece should have a duration time of between 5min-10min, filmed to a professional quality (1920×1080 / 25fps) and presented in an MP4 or .Mov format. Guidance on best practice approaches to filming can be requested.
• Applicants are encouraged to show innovation, ambition and originality.
• The applicants must provide examples of previous work in the associated languages of the commission call.
How to apply:
Email email@example.com with “Ceangal | Dolen 2020 Commission” in the subject line.
In a PDF document outline:
• Who you are and a context for the type of work you make. (max 200 words)
• The name of your proposed project.
• The details of the idea you intend to create if successful and how. (300 words max)
• Include the names of any collaborators or associate artists/freelancers involved in the proposed project.
Successful artists will be assigned a contact point from the Ceangal Dolen conference team during the artistic process.
This commission is proudly funded and supported by Creative Ireland, Ealaíon na Gaeltachta, TG4, Donegal County Council, Theatre Gu Leòr, Theatr Genedlaethol Cymru, An Taibhdhearc and The National University of Ireland, Galway.